So on Thursday I went about my normal day. I woke up, made breakfast, watched the news, and then there was a knock at the door. On opening the door I was brought back down to earth with a massive smack in the face…… it’s Valentines. Now I’m not one to really care about this day, but when you are accepting half a dozen roses knowing they are for your mother, and yet STILL pretending to the delivery man that they are indeed for you…. it is time. It is time for brownies.
These ‘Smartie Smash Brownies’ are the ultimate comfort food, a thick brick like brownie, encasing marshmellow and milky way, covereded by a thick layer of chocoaltes ganache sprinkled with smashed up smarties. Yes, the calorie gods will scorn you, but who gives a crap when it tastes this good?
To make the brownie:
Oven 180 degrees
200 grams good dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa although I opt for 85), 250 grams of unsalted butter (room temperature), 200 grams golden caster sugar, 6 heaped table spoons of self raising flour, 3 eggs, a pinch of salt, a sharing packet of milkybar buttons (smashed up), and handful of tiny marshmellows.
- Firstly mash up the chocolate and cut up the butter into small cubes.
- But in blender, adding the flour, caster sugar and salt.
- Whizz together in a blender.
- After whizzing until a good thick gooey mixture add the 3 eggs whilst still blending.
- Whizz until all mixed and at a good thick creamy chocolately consistency (if you still have some chocolate lumps don’t threat.. this will only add to the magic of the brownie)
- Once done add to a tin, at least 2.5 cm in depth.
- Here, I like to do a Jamie Oliver and run some baking parchment under cold water, ringing it out and then lining the tin with it, then rubbing in some olive oil.
- Spatula in the mixture, making sure it is even and level.
- Then sprinkle over top your smashed up milky buttons and marshmallows, slightly poking them into the mixture.
- Bake in oven for 20-30 minutes (this all depends on your oven, after 15 mins I suggest checking the centre of the brownies with a knife and seeing if it comes out clean so you can see where they are at)
- Once these are cooked leave out leave to cool. When cooled we can accessorise!
To make the ganache:
200 grams dark chocolate, 200 ml double cream, one packet of share sized smarties, smashed up.
- Heat the cream until steaming on a low heat, smash up the chocolate in a seperate bowl and then add the cream to it once done. Stirring it quickly, until it is thick in consistency and all the chocolate has melted in.
- Once done, using a spatula layer it onto the top of the brownie, take your smashed smarties and sprinkle on top whilst the ganache is still warm. You can also add different coloured sprinkles for effect. Allow the ganache to cool and harden, forget all your woes, and enjoy!